3.04.2012

An Inspiring Note from Karen Willis and Clear Answers at the Dogwood Initiative

The title, Med Student Donates Scholarship Money, and link in an email this morning brought me to this inspiring note:
"Apparently, I am a radical. I am a Canadian, a proud B.C. resident and a medical student. I am currently thousands of dollars in debt so that I can achieve my dream of being a rural family doctor and bring medical care to the underserved areas of our province."
"However, something worries me more than the pressing need for rural doctors in Canada or my ability to pay my bills — it is the Northern Gateway pipeline and the proposal to put supertankers on our coast. That is why I would like to donate the scholarship money I received this year to your initiative. I know it’s not much, and I would give more if I could. I love what you are doing for our province".

Karen is donating her scholarship to the Dogwood Initiative, a non-profit, volunteer group that brings together everyday British Columbians to reclaim decision-making power over their air, land and water. Even more important perhaps than Karen's inspiring note are the clear responses given on the blog to a series of excellant questions about the Northern Gateway Project pipieline project. The answers there are great talking for us all when encountering these same basic questions in conversations with our friends, be they supporters or objectors to the pipeline.

Please check out the Dogwood Initiative website and, if you feel so moved, sign the petitions and/or join the cause, mr. mud did.